The Official Blue Jays Managerial Candidate Bracket

Blue-Jays-Bracket-Update-2

Click image to enlarge

After seeing the ongoing parade of candidates to take over as the new manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, I commented on Twitter yesterday how things are starting to look like a March Madness bracket.

Well, low and behold here is a visual aid to help keep track of all the candidates: your official Blue Jays Managerial Candidate Bracket.

Notice how three names have already been crossed off the list: Rick Renteria, Eric Wedge and Tim Bogar. They have either kept their respective jobs (Tim Bogar), taken new positions within their organization (Rick Renteria) or are now coaching the Seattle Mariners (Eric Wedge).

Things will likely be fast and furious over the next few weeks as the Blue Jays finally begin to whittle down the 24 candidates to a select few. Stay tuned here for updates to the Blue Jays Managerial Candidate Bracket as we will eventually crown a winner!

**Update** According to MLB Trade Rumors, the candidates have been whittled down to 3: DeMarlo Hale, John Farrell, and Sandy Alomar Jr.

While Brian Butterfield was not mentioned in the post, I’m going to assume he’s still in the running.

So we’re down to the final four!

Tags :

1. Anonymous

October 19, 2010 - 1:25 pm

Tim Wallach is also out.

2. Ian - BJH

October 19, 2010 - 2:28 pm

And another one bites the dust! 4 down, only 19 more until we have a new manager.

3. Gil Fisher

October 19, 2010 - 2:35 pm

The seedings are a crock!!!! Martinez and Alomar Jr as a quarterfinal matchup?????

4. Ian - BJH

October 19, 2010 - 4:46 pm

Gil, these aren't actually seeded – I had no idea how to rank them, so they're all just random match ups. Whoever "moves on" will advance and whoever drops out will be crossed off.

Apparently Alomar Jr. had his third interview already, but I don't think Martinez has interviewed yet.

5. The 5th Starter

October 19, 2010 - 9:19 pm

The Alomar connection could be at play here as well… I'd have to seed him in the top 3.

Martinez still has a good shot, even if he hasn't interviewed…

6. GCM1979

October 20, 2010 - 12:00 am

hate to burst your bubble, but Martinez is out.

7. Steve G.

October 20, 2010 - 6:15 am

I like Sandy's chances. Don't know why, but I just do.

On the flip side, I don't think Wakamatsu, Hurdle, Baylor and Samuel will be hired. All of them have the stink of failure fresh on them, and it's not like any of them have the Torre-like hint of a past World Series championship as a manager to keep (stupid) teams interested in them.

8. Ian - BJH

October 20, 2010 - 3:23 pm

GCM, Martinez was eliminated in the first round there.

Steve, at first I wasn't quite sure what to think about Alomar Jr. as manager, but now I'm really warming up to it. Especially since Alex Anthopoulos said he's willing to take a chance on a guy who hasn't managed a team before.

Plus, it also opens the door for Roberto to come in at a later date as the hitting coach.

October 20, 2010 - 4:48 pm

A few more were dropped today as I'm sure you know. Time to revise the bracket…

10. Ian - BJH

October 20, 2010 - 6:00 pm

Mattt, looks like I have some work ahead of me when I get home as it sounds like we're down to either the final 3 or 4 already.

11. Anonymous

October 20, 2010 - 6:10 pm

Boy, I really wanted Sal Fusano.
    I have no idea about his managing style, but it sure would've been fun.

12. Anonymous

October 21, 2010 - 1:39 am

Thank you, Ian, for your faith in Butter!

13. Ian - BJH

October 21, 2010 - 1:56 am

Anon 1, same here – plus Fasano could have instituted Manditory Moustache Monday's.

Anon 2, I just think we can't write off the #1 candidate since the beginning so easily. I just assumed Butterfield was still in the discussion since we haven't heard otherwise.