Happy Halloween: The Jose Bautista Jay-O-Lantern

183670243

Aside from Antoine Dodson’s “Bed Intruder”, one of the hottest Halloween costume ideas out there will be in honour of the Blue Jays 54 home run man: Jose Bautista.

It feels like a costume cop-out since I have all the Blue Jays paraphernalia anyway, but dressing up as Jose Bautista will be one of my costumes this year.

In addition to dressing up like bearded one, I’ve also immortalized Jose Bautista in pumpkin form above. This was the second year I attempted to do a Jay-O-Lantern, and let me tell you it is definitely a lot more difficult than it looks.

If it wasn’t for the beard, you might think the jack-o-lantern was one of those composite sketches you see on the news … except with far less detail.

Anyway, here’s the sketch that I worked from below. Take a look and let me know what you think. Happy Halloween!

**Update:** Check out this great Jay-O-Lantern of the Blue Jays logo courtesy of @KawiGurl27.

1. Ian - BJH

October 28, 2010 - 4:56 pm

5th Starter and Nav, thanks for the kind words gents. I learned the hard way last year to NOT start with the outline first, because then it just all falls apart.

2. Meredith

October 28, 2010 - 5:30 pm

"…let me tell you it is definitely a lot more difficult than it looks."

That looks pretty damn difficult to me.

3. Torgen

October 28, 2010 - 5:33 pm

Did you consider shaving away at the pumpkin without cutting all the way through to make it translucent? Then you could potentially shave different amounts to create gradiation.
    Capcha: blasabi–Wasabi that's not very hot?

4. Ian - BJH

October 28, 2010 - 6:09 pm

Meredith, it was just tough to get the details right. At times I felt like the carving knife was telling me what to do rather than the other way around.

Torgen, I've seen people do that on a couple of different carvings. Looks like it might be pretty tough, but I might give it a whirl next year.

October 29, 2010 - 9:28 am

That's some serious pumpkin art. Didn't you do a Jays one last year?

6. Ian - BJH

October 29, 2010 - 3:17 pm

Mattt, yessir – sure did! Last year I did the old school Jays logo. Not sure what I'm going to carve next Halloween, but I'll have a year to think about it!

October 29, 2010 - 4:23 pm

Maybe (hopefully) a play off banner. This talk of more teams in the play offs coincided nicely with Rogers announcing that payroll will be increased next year. I can dream…

8. Ian - BJH

October 29, 2010 - 4:52 pm

Good idea Mattt, let's keep our fingers crossed!