Scott Richmond Gets the Call to Las Vegas

Looks like this was a bit of a belated birthday present as Scott Richmond’s birthday was yesterday, but looks like he’s been called up from New Hampshire to Triple A Las Vegas.

Scott Richmond will make the start tonight for the Las Vegas 51’s on the road in Sacramento. Richmond made his final appearance for the Fisher Cats last Thursday going five innings while surrendering two earned runs but fanning eight.

He performed very well in two rehab starts down in Double A: 10 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 0 BB and 14 K.

Originally it was thought that the Fisher Cats might hang onto Scott  Richmond to use for their playoff roster, but I guess the Blue Jays wanted to put him on the fast track back to the majors.

By starting this evening with the 51’s, that puts Richmond on track to start next on Sunday against the Yankees if the Blue Jays do in fact call him up for a spot start.

One can imagine it’s probably a coin flip right now between Scott Richmond and Brad Mills. Although, Brad Mills has had a bit of an extended break between starts as he hasn’t pitched last in Las Vegas since August 17th.

It wouldn’t be completely out of the question to see both Scott Richmond and Brad Mills called up tomorrow, but my gut tells me the move to call up Richmond from New Hampshire to Las Vegas means he’s on track to start Sunday’s game for the Blue Jays.

Either way, welcome back Scott and hopefully you’ll be back in a Blue Jays uniform very soon!

1. infieldfly

August 31, 2010 - 3:16 pm

Maybe it's because of the story of how he made it to the bigs, maybe it's because he seems like a genuinely great guy, maybe it's because he's Canadian, I don't know, but I can help but cheer for the guy. Glad to see he's moving up the ladder again.

August 31, 2010 - 3:52 pm

Chris, I think it's all of the above. My heart sank when I found out he was going to be sidelined most of the season, but it's great to see him on the comeback trail.

Don't you think he's a much more viable option than someone like Brian Tallet?

3. LJ

August 31, 2010 - 4:57 pm

…Oh, and by the way, I love Russ Langer. It's too bad AAA broadcasters don't get called up to the bigs the way their subjects do.

August 31, 2010 - 5:05 pm

I'm with Infieldfly. If there's one guy I want to see do well it's Richmond. A bit of a back handed compliment, but there is no way he doesn't offer more value than Tallet as the long man in the 'pen for next year. That's worst case scenario I'm hoping…

And I just looked up and noticed you implied the same thing.

August 31, 2010 - 10:09 pm

LJ, I know – seems like a strange move to make Richmond go through Vegas before just coming up to Toronto.

Mattt, Scott is a serviceable arm, he's under team control for another

seasons or so. I'd rather the Blue Jays hand the ball to Richmond in the long relief role than Tallet.

6. Anonymous

September 1, 2010 - 12:31 pm

If we are to believe what Cito said yesterday, it looks like Richmond will stay on the road with Vegas and could pitch the last game of the season in Portland next Monday, before being added to the list of September call ups.
    He one hit league leading Sacramento over

innings last night, striking out 7, and led 3-0after being unable to find the strike zone until his 10th pitch.
    The bullpen did their best to piss away the win for him, but after loading the bases in the 9th, the River Cats were unable to push the winning runs across.