Alomar could try the manager’s hat on for size

ed99638b4e888135a32b486f6dc7

They say “those who can’t do, teach”. But is it possible for those who can do and have done, to teach? In the case of Roberto Alomar, I certainly hope so.

Listening to Bob McCown speak with Roberto Alomar prior to the Conn Smythe Celebrity Dinner, it sounded like McCown was giving him a screening interview for a coaching position with the Blue Jays.

It turns out the idea of bringing in Roberto Alomar as a coach of some sort isn’t so far-fetched. Alomar spoke to the Toronto Sun and said that he’d be open to returning to the Blue Jays as an instructor some time in the future, but not right at this moment.

After the initial honeymoon period with Cito Gaston, I’ve learned that you shouldn’t let emotions from the past cloud the team of the present. Having said that, how cool would it be to have Robbie Alomar as a hitting coach for example?

If not in some sort of coaching capacity, the least the Blue Jays could do is consider letting Roberto Alomar outfit the team with his new clothing line: Second 2 None.

Because there’s nothing better than having your insignia remind Dennis Eckersley of the grave mistake he made in Game Four of the 1992 ALCS.

1. QJays

January 28, 2010 - 3:38 pm

I agree – get him in there if possible, but in a minor league role first.

January 28, 2010 - 8:31 pm

Because there's nothing better than having your insignia remind Dennis Eckersley of the grave mistake he made in Game Four of the 1992 ALCS.

So bloody true, bro. His plaque when he enters Cooperstown should be of the same pose.

January 28, 2010 - 9:19 pm

I'm all for it, QJays! Maybe not necessarily as the manager, but I could see him being a hitting coach or something like that.

eyebleaf, we need to create some sort of bronze statue of Alomar honouring him in that pose. Then take a picture of it, and send it to Dennis Eckersley.

January 28, 2010 - 11:09 pm

I know Alomar can hit but can he teach others to hit? I guess giving him a job as an assistant hitting instructor or something in A ball would be a good way to see.

January 29, 2010 - 3:08 am

Definitely don't throw him into the fire right away. Ease Alomar into it, and see what happens. It's worth a shot, right?

6. Colt McCoy

January 29, 2010 - 3:43 am

I think I would prefer to see him in a 1st base coach kinda job first.
    catch the taste!